Monday 9 October 2017

Why I joined a union

Why I've joined a union
I first became self employed because I couldn't work in a 'proper' job because of family circumstances and my own mental health. It suited me down to the ground - but only because I have a husband who at that time had a reliable employed income. 
Later I ran a microbusiness as owner/director. Now I'm working for a small cooperative I helped found.
Along the way I discovered coworking and twitter as ways to build networks, develop a sense of solidarity with other microbusiness and self employed people, and deal with the isolation that can come with no office space. I met Indycube that way too.

As one person, it is easy to be picked off. I've met skilled graphic designers, videographers and speakers who will work below the living wage just to secure work. I've heard of people driven to food banks by late paying customers. 
I firmly believe in cooperative principles. I support mutual aid and shared, mutual self-help over charity and hand-outs. 

And I support anything where those of us at the coal face of the economy can have a voice in policy discussions, debates and decisions about work. 
I don't have time or emotional energy to do that for myself. I'm too busy being part of a microbusiness, and it's not something I'm particularly skilled at doing. That's one reason for me joining the new Indycube Community union. They do what they are good at - speaking up and representing us - while I get on with what I'm good at.

The union isn't just idealistic talk or speaking out on our behalf. They've identified with us union members some key practical issues that make life harder for microbusinesses and self-employed people - isolation, late payment, legal support and what happens when you're too ill to work. In true cooperative style, Indycube Community has found ways we can work together to share the load. This means that by joining the union, I don't need to fight for payment or against unfair terms by myself. I can use the coworking spaces when I want the company of like minded-people. And there's even a chance to join a mutual scheme where we all pay in and can all get help if too ill to work. It's back to the future. It's what happened in Welsh communities before social security. It's what self-employed people need again today. 

The idea of a union for independent, self-employed people is a bit radical. So they are offering a no-money trial membership. I was going to say a free trial, but it isn't. Indycube Community is its members. If we put nothing in, all we will get out are the monetary benefits not a strong voice and representation. We need to put in our support which means replying to emails asking about life as a self-employed person and telling others about the new union.


Here's a link to join. http://www.indycube.community/join-us/ Please don't join out of selfish self-interest. Join because we are #strongertogether and the UK needs us to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment