Friday 6 October 2017

Free to a good home

Short story starter - free to a good home! I didn't intend this as a short story starter, just a combination of observation and whimsy while sat in a cafe in Penclawdd. But I read it back and it sounds like a great start of a story. There's just one problem. I don't write stories. And that's why it's free to a good home. Just tell me what you do with it if you use it.

I notice what I notice because of who I am. The waiter's apron. How the plates are balanced. Sounds. Arms. Movement. The swift, confident wiping of the table, white dishcloth polishing the surface for the next customer. The colour of the table and four chairs, the textures and the irregular, homely placement of the chairs round the square table. Never faces. I never notice faces. 

I noticed the child's coat only because someone drew attention to it. Its vibrant, bold ballon pattern is out of keeping with the beige and cream decor. There is no sound of a child, no sight of a child in the cafe. Just the coat of a child. And I begin to create stories of how that coat came to be there, hanging on a coat stand next to the obviously adult damp coats and waterproofs in a cafe of adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment