Wednesday 11 March 2015

Sat in a classroom

I'm sat in a classroom, listening to people talk about ethics in educational research.

I'm sat so far at the back that I'm actually sat on the floor, plugged into the power socket, half listening and half blogging, checking Facebook, dealing with work, getting my head round news from home.

It's strange how three metres back and a few inches down makes such a difference. I can hear, see same as everyone else but I don't feel part of the session. I guess that's because I'm not!

I've chosen  to semi-exclude myself, to dip in and out. I must never forget the privilege I have, firstly to be able to dip in without being required to be fully inborn out. Second that, a few years back in my wheelchair-using days, I would have had no choice. I wouldn't be three metres away but down the hall and down the stairs away from the others.

So here's to environments that let you be yourself - to dip in and out, to participate or observe. And here's a shout-out for environments that don't remove the include/exclude choice by forcing you to do something or denying you access.

No comments:

Post a Comment