Monday 14 March 2022

The power of pottering

 I'm getting older. Time is getting more precious as I see less of it rolling out in front of me.

This feels particularly true after a week in hospital and two weeks of recovery at home (I'm hoping this third week will see me back to normal activities).

Most of the time I focus on time investment. What do I really want to be investing in? There is no point in managing my time with huge skill if what I am investing my time in doesn't really matter in the long run. Or - in trendy language - is my use of time aligned with my values? 

However, right now I am struggling with getting my time managed effectively. I think it's a consequence of a sudden unexpected three weeks off in the middle of a busy patch, and knowing I can't get back to full work just yet. 

All my time management tools target efficiency. They seek to streamline and organise how I use my time to maximise what is achieved. 

Recently I've learned the power of pottering in the kitchen. I can potter around, tidying, cleaning, prepping, dreaming, planning as I go. I don't chide myself for being distracted as I switch task mid-flow or have multiple bits of activity running in parallel. What I find is that I have achieved as much in a couple of hours as if I'd started with a list and worked my way through it. What I also find is that at the end of the couple of hours I feel refreshed and relaxed rather than drained from forcing myself through the tasks that 'must be done'. 

Last night I had tweeted that I was struggling because I am a freelancer and behind on work for various clients and worrying about how to catch up and which to prioritise. 

You know what I've done this morning? I've applied the 'power of pottering' to my work. You see, what I've learned from the kitchen is that when a list would be overwhelmingly long, I'll do what needs to be done if I let myself potter. 

So far this morning I have achieved so much that I have time to capture my experience in a blog. 

[For any clients reading and wondering how I've got time to waste on a blogpost - don't worry, I've got a plan that will give you what you need without killing me in the process.]

No comments:

Post a Comment