Thursday 4 November 2021

Nov 4th Equality

If you want a bit of extra reading, you may want to look at the version of my doctoral thesis that is written ‘bilingually’ for readers of ‘Everyday’ and readers of ‘Academic’. It’s just one practice I use to reconcile my non-negotiable beliefs with working in the academic world. I call it the Alongsider Thesis https://research.bangor.ac.uk/portal/files/39200483/Alongsider_Thesis_online_version.pdf


All lives have equal value. That’s my non-negotiable belief even though I don’t always act on it and I haven’t fully thought through its implications. If you look at life in Wales, our mainstream discrimination suggests equality is not a mainstream belief. 


What has this to do with academic life? I believe we carry into our academic work a fundamental belief in inequality when it comes to knowledges and people as knowers, thinkers and sense-makers. 


I see it in our research practices, in our ‘business as usual’. And I have committed to doing things differently, starting with how I write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment