Wednesday 13 September 2017

A winning formula for abstracts


As a follow-up to yesterday's blog: 


I want to submit an abstract for a conference where the papers are published as a yearbook. As an insecure student, I thought I'd better read up on how to structure abstracts. I found plenty of advice on winning formulas. I was advised to frame it around key questions, or to 'complete the sentences' for a set of sentences that started with specific wordings, or to pick key words that would make the paper appear higher up the list when people use search engines.

 

Then I had a bright idea. I thought I'd (non-scientifically) analyse the abstracts from a previous year's book to see what their winning formula is before I got cracking on my abstract. Here's what I found...


Abstract 1
  • Context
  • This article will
  • Key finding 
 
Abstract 2
  • This paper is on the topic...
  • More detail about the topic
  • My claim
 
Abstract 3
  • This article aims to explore
  • It will focus..
  • Key data
  • This article concludes by
 
Abstract 4
  • Framing
  • Contention (nevertheless)
  • Purpose of the research
 
Abstract 5
  • This article is (content)
  • The article explores
  • This is an opportunity for me to
 
Abstract 6 
  • Context
  • This article (content)
  • This article (source of data)
  • Conclusion
 
Abstract 7
  • It's about X research project
  • Framing
  • Key finding
  • Contention
 
Abstract 8
  • Explanation of title
  • Why the topic is relevant
  • In this article I will
 
Abstract 9
  • It's about X research project
  • The focus within that project
 
Abstract 10
  • Context
  • Importance of topic
  • Questions that will be addressed in this article


If you can identify the winning formula from this lot, your brain must be wired in a different way from mine as I cannot spot a pattern. 

 

Conclusion: Be me. Don't follow a formula. Give readers the information I think will help them decide whether they want to read my article. As for the conference and publication, the idea will be worth publishing or it won't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment