Monday 9 November 2015

Why I refuse to be an asset...

I’ve been trying to think why I dislike the word “asset” when it is used  in the context  of what human beings bring to the table in terms of their community, public life and self-help.

I got some of the answers by asking people what “asset” meant to them. For some it meant being seen as valuable – “you’re such an asset”. For others, it was a term used in books and films to describe dehumanised and expendable people – like “CIA assets”. For many, particularly more middle class, it was about owning things and “looking after your assets”.

I don’t think I like any of those meanings. Whenever I’ve been told I’m an asset, it’s either the prelude to exploiting my good will or a justification for having just done that. It goes hand in hand with being patted  on the head for being a good girl. I definitely don’t like the idea of being expendable. And I don’t have much time for materialism and guarding stuff that I’ve accumulated.


So I guess it’s not surprising that I get uncomfortable with the current fashion for insisting that we talk about people’s assets or reminding ourselves that people are assets. 

My association of asset with exploitation  is increased because for all the talk of being assets and coproducing/co-working, it is exceedingly rare for anyone on the “you’re an asset” side of the table to get paid, whereas everyone on the “we’re the trend-setting public service” side is paid to be there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment