Friday 27 February 2015

What's with the fish and the elephant?

I'm a sociologist come social activist, not a scientist. So apologies if you wanted a blog about nature. Switch blogs now!

Einstein's fish refers to his principle that you don't judge fishes by their ability to climb trees. It's so obvious when you say it like that. But it is standard practice for most of us in everyday life. We climb trees. We judge others by their ability to climb trees. There's a whole world of normalcy and neurodiversity to explore for anyone who thinks Einstein has a point.

The elephant? It's from a Hindustani story
I could waffle about post-structuralism, fluidity, multiple realities - but it's a lot easier to look at the cartoon on the link. Says it all really - or at least all that's needed to get you thinking.

I'm a few months into postgraduate research, and because I thrive on sharing, talking, listening - and because I tend to work out what I think by writing about it - I've decided it's time to get blogging as I go.

First milestone on Monday - review panel meeting. If I survive that, I may feel ready to blog a bit about what I'm researching, why and how I'm doing it and the joys of ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment